Learn to be an Art Collector
Yes, collecting art really is something you can 'learn' to do. Collecting art is not so much complicated as intimidating, and the recent Collectors Colloquium was launched as a way to provide interested art enthusiasts with an overview of the art world and to give access to some local experts who can share their wisdom and insights. At the end of the course, participants will have learned some basics, met others who are also interested in art, and hopefully seen first hand how open and welcoming our art scene is. Art collecting isn't really a 101 course you can check off your list and be done with - Ah ha! I've learned how to spot the most valuable up-and-coming artists in order to make my investing forture! - it's a very personal, subjective experience that depends on your own taste and interests. Everyone says it, but it's true. You should buy the best art that you can afford, and you should buy work that you love - ie: you're willing to live with it and enjoy it for a very long time. But there are some helpful starting points to developing your eye and making smarter choices. Most people need some kind of direction to get started. Like any other dynamic topic, discussion is a big part of the learning process. If you've joined us already, we're pleased to have you along for the journey, as you are well on your way to a rewarding life-long pursuit to living a unique life by having art as a part of your life. If you haven't had a chance to join us yet, there's still time! And we of course would like to offer more classes like this in the future. To be notified of future collecting groups, please email us. Chicago is home to many unique galleries, artists and cultural institutions, and there are a wealth of creative resources to explore and make your own. Welcome to the journey!
SESSIONS TO DATE:
• A Passion for Collecting - Discussions with younger collectors who have been in the game for awhile and who have their own very personal stories of art and collecting passions. Panelists shared their collecting philosophies as well as resources.
• In the White Cube - An evening with area art dealers who've nurtured the careers of younger artists, developed friendships with collectors, and those who have worked to spotlight emerging artists as well as those who may have been overlooked.
• On the Auction Block - an evening with art experts at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers, one of the area's most visible and successful auction operations. Collectors learned the sport of buying at auction as well as the sophisticated nature of the auction treasure hunt (and the spectacular values one can find!)
• Eye for Hire (February 28, 2012 hosted by Kavi Gupta Gallery, 835 W. Washington)
This session will provide an overview of the art advisory profession, and help attendees understand why collectors hire art advisors.
• Art as Investment + The (Art) Fair Game (March 27, 2012)
This session will provide an overview of how and why works of art appreciate. We'll also cover some highlights of the local and national art fair scene and provide an overview of how to navigate an art fair, particularly now that you've met some other like-minded art enthusiasts!
Participants are still welcome to attend on an indiviudal as well as video basis - please email email@example.com for more information.