International Museum of Surgical Science
Dr. Max Thorek founded the International College of Surgeons (ICS) in 1935 with the goal of promoting the exchange of surgical knowledge worldwide. The Museum was originally conceived as the ICS Hall of Fame and as a repository for its growing collection of historically significant surgical instrumentation, artworks and manuscripts.
Beginning in 1950 the Museum received additional donations of artifacts, paintings, sculptures and books from many of the national sections of the ICS, individual surgeons and collectors, and other institutions. A historic lakeside mansion was acquired, adjacent to the ICS headquarters, and the Museum opened to the public on September 9, 1954. One of the first exhibits installed was the Hall of Immortals, containing 12 stone statues of great figures in the field of medicine and the allied sciences.
Over the past two decades, the International Museum of Surgical Science has made significant progress in strengthening its educational programs and exhibits, as well as in the conservation of its noteworthy collections and historic landmark building. Today, the Museum’s four doors are filled with extraordinary artifacts that interpret the prehistoric through contemporary healing practices.
Opening receptions are held the first night of each exhibition. Visit imss.org for more information.
Image: Thorek Manuscripts and Rare Book Library